Monday, August 29, 2011

What to Wear to an Evening Wedding

I accompanied one of my best friends to an acquaintance's wedding this weekend.  The ceremony was held in one of the oldest churches in downtown Atlanta, while the evening reception was held at a posh, yet understated, venue in trendy midtown. My friend wore a gorgeous black and tan chiffon dress with a sexy surplice neckline.  I chose a black Herve Leger inspired bandage dress with a low boatneck to flatter my décolletage.  We both sparkled in gold jewelry and wore subtle evening makeup.  Obviously, we were expecting to fit into an equally well-dressed crowd.  Imagine my horror when we spotted an attendee in black flip flops.  I know what you're thinking--"Maybe they were just sandals with a kitten heel."  No ma'am.  I know a flip-flop when I see one, and that was some beachy, college bathroom don't-step-on-the-shower-floor footwear.  I was shocked by that sight, but I nearly had a fit when I saw a guest in jeans.  Listen--I know we're all very casual these days. Heck, I'm all about rocking denim and sneakers to MJQ.  But, this is a wedding, folks.  This is the time to dress to the 9s and act like you've been there before.  Clearly this post is needed.  

When the bride looks like this:



then you may not wear these to her reception:

You shouldn't even wear this to the rehearsal dinner.

What are you, a hobo? Get some gosh darn shoes!

If you're not at the beach, get a real dress.

If you want an inexpensive, yet sophisticated option for attending an evening wedding, Spiegel (www.spiegel.c0m) has quite a few:




My point is that when you're an adult, you must put aside childish ways.  There is a time and a place for jeans and flip-flops.  A classic evening wedding in a metropolitan area is not one of them.

Love ya!
Sophia

Have a question?  Do you want suggestions on what to wear for a specific occasion?  Email me at wearing.it.out@gmail.com.  Follow me on Twitter - @SophiaHonora

No comments:

Post a Comment